Wednesday, September 8, 2010

6 Places

ARC:
The ARC, to me, is a work of art in its utilitarian design. It is meant to provide a perfect environment for the perfection of oneself. Its seemingly bland facade and inner design betrays its efficiency and openness. The latter characteristics themselves produce the true art of the ARC; great athletes and their places of honor within our community. It is in the arc where, carefully catalogued, are the great achievers of SMCM athletics. With that emergent force, the ARC becomes charged not only with utilitarian purpose, but a central feature of the Saint Mary's culture of achievment. It is with this place we can show ourselves that more can always within our grasp.

Shoe Tree:
The shoe tree is like a totem. Though only a small fraction of us actually participate in its associated rituals (if we did the branches would fall from the weight of all those shoes,) it reminds us that we can come together in a place and be free and grow as people. It shows us that this is a place of fun, and of growth. Whenever I see the Shoe Tree, after laughing to myself, I also imagine the faces of all those kids who came through that place with a world ahead of them and with those shoes, they took the first step.

Campus Center:
I have mixed feelings about the campus center. Its the place where I can go and have a meal with my friends, and make even more friends, but it also makes me feel pretty clausterphobic at times. It's so busy all the time, it can be overwhelming just dealing with all the activity. Yet, it is also a place of true safety and where one can engage in the throngs of culture and activity this campus can offer. It is surely the most significant marker of campus activity and vivacity.

Coffee House:
This place is pretty cool. I like the idea that it was kind of a counter-cultural spot for the colonists. As was noted, it is far away from the church and statehouse, so its quieter and a little more free. I can easily imagine myself there, with all the smells and sounds and people hanging out and enjoying a little luxury during a life of labor and religious tightness.

Justin Bates' Grave:
This is a place of real magic to me. To be honest, I admire Justin's memorial. It is so simple, and so wonderful. To have your final mark on the world to be a place of comfort, a place where the weary may find respite and the grieving may reflect. A place that sponsors more life. Now that's a great way to give back to the world! Such simplicity and such calm, when I sit there I feel certain Justin is there, about my age, and just hanging out there with me. Certainly, that is how to spend an afterlife.

Saint Mary's Hall:
This place is much like the ARC to me, but for a different sense of utility. It is a theater, not an arena. A place where actors, singers, dancers, musicians, and all those in the arts come to be heard. It is a home of expression and discussion, a place of true human experience. It is only in Saint Mary's Hall that one can absorb the most of what others have to say. Though, when empty, it is simply a quiet room, it can be transformed just by your very presence. Just by moving and speaking and contemplating you decorate it with the art of your own soul. By attending events you give strength to the people on and off the stage, and it becomes a melting pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment