Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Six Places

The arena being empty and quiet was such a different experience for me. When I think of the arena, I think of a huge crowd of people, loud cheering, basketball, and the room being filled with excitement. When I went into the arena with the class and by myself, the arena was completely opposite of how it’s embedded into my memory. It was quiet, there was no cheering, and the arena looked so big. The arena is a place of social gathering, but walking into the empty arena had a different vibe. It was not a bad vibe, but very different. Instead of the “pumped up” feeling I usually get after an athletic event, the empty arena left me nostalgic and appreciative of the events and memories from there.

Whenever I walk by the Shoe Tree, I always take a moment to admire it. It is truly a unique and creative piece of art. There is so much meaning behind it and it can really only be appreciated by the St. Mary’s community. The Shoe Tree can be perceived in many ways. To some, the tree dirties the image of the campus and to some, it is beautiful. The Shoe Tree is located in the perfect spot by all the dorms. Many of those who contributed to the Shoe Tree probably lived in one of the residence halls in their underclassman years.

Whenever I go to the Campus Center, it is always filled with people walking by, going to the Great Room, people waiting in line at the Grind, and people browsing the Bookstore. This is where much of the St. Mary’s community comes to get food and drink. Eating and drinking are two very social activities that bring people together. Friends get together for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even for coffee and snacks. It may not have the same atmosphere as the Arena in the ARC, but it is still a very busy area where people come to spend time together.

I have never spent much time in Historic St. Mary’s, so it was very interesting to walk through that area and to see the coffeehouse. The coffeehouse was very dark and solemn to me as I approached it with the class and on my own. It was starting to get dark both times I went, which added to the empty feeling and gloominess of the area. However, it was fascinating to learn that people came to that coffeehouse way long ago just as people now go to the Grind (besides the alcoholic beverages being served). It was also an area of social activity, just as the Campus Center, the Shoe Tree, and the Arena.

When we stopped at the memorial spot for Justin Bates, I did not really see how this place fit in with the previous four places we visited. The graveyard is a quiet place respecting and memorializing people that have passed. It has a more serious atmosphere in comparison to the four previous places. However, after it was pointed out that this particular memorial bench and plaque were by the path that leads to the Point, I quickly realized that this memorial was placed in a great location. It has a great view by the water and many people pass this way to socialize at the Point.

The only other times I have been to St. Mary’s Hall have been for the dance show. It was strange entering the building with the class, because the room was so empty. Similar to the Arena, this area to me is a place of many people, music, applause, and performance. The atmosphere was very different from the Arena, because St. Mary’s Hall has a more serious vibe to it when it is empty or full. However, my memories of the events that occurred at each place involved a social gathering with many people and great experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment