Sunday, September 26, 2010

Project 01 SOURCE








Artist: Sally Mann; #1 Scarred Tree, 1998. Sally Mann (born May 1, 1951) is an American photographer known for her black and white photography of both southern landscapes and her children using large format cameras.

I chose this image as an example of self-portrait because I feel that it is

the imperfections in the tree that make it an interesting space to be in, just as I feel that it is the imperfections in me (and, really, in anyone) that makes them interesting to know or be around, just as it is the imperfections in any space that makes it an interesting place.

Artist: Vincent Van Gogh; “Starry Night over the R

hone”, September 1888. Vincent Van Gogh (March 30th, 1853 – July 29th, 1890) was a Dutch post-Impressionist painter. His works had lasting influence into the 20th century for their bright colors and emotional impact.

I chose “Starry Night over the Rhone” as an example of self-portrait because I’m kind of a “night owl.” I don’t have a particular favorite place, but any place by the water at night under the stars would be my favorite kind of place because I feel like seeing a place at night under the light of the stars romanticizes a place, and makes it a far more interesting space than it is during the day time.










Artist: George Grie; Title Unknown, date unknown. George Grie (born May 14, 1962) is a Russian-Canadian artist. He is one of the first digital neo-surrealist artists and is known for many 2D, 3D, and matte painting images. He is heavily influenced by the work of Salvador Dali.

To me this image represents a melding of place and self. Despite the stark background in the image, it reminds me of the feeling I get when I’ve found a place that really suits me, whether it’s the perfect spot for studying in the library or a great spot to just relax by the waterfront. When I find a place that I’m really comfortable in, I feel like I kind of “meld” with it.










Artist: Rene Magritte; “Personal Values” 1952. Rene Magritte (21 November 1898 – 15 August 1967) was a well-known Belgian surrealist artist who was known for his witty and thought provoking images.

I chose Magritte’s “Personal Values” as an example of self-portrait because I feel that it’s the little objects and odds and ends that make a space into a place. The large, obvious objects help you to understand what the place is, but it’s the smaller bits and pieces that give that place depth; for example, in “Personal Values”, we can tell that it’s obviously meant to be a bedroom, but Magritte has purposefully under emphasized the obvious objects of a bedroom (i.e. the bed, the wardrobe) and has enlarged the clutter/odds and ends that truly make that place personalized instead of just a room (the comb, makeup brush, etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment