Tuesday, September 7, 2010

6 places

Gym:
When walking through the gymnasium in the ARC, there are many different factors to consider about the gym. As we discussed in class, there are numerous events in and uses for the gym. For example, some may use the gym for athletic events, games, and matches, whatever they may be. At the same time it is used to present awards to athletes at the end of the year, show off SMPs, for meetings, etc. One thing that really stood out to me about this particular room was that “openness” environment. When you come into the gym there are seats all around three out of the four walls. The doors are also clear glass where one can see through to the events inside the gym without actually being a part of the events. Depending on the event that is occurring in the gymnasium (or even when there are no events going on) there is a general sense of openness and welcoming (however, I do understand that this particular opinion is biased based on the fact that I am an athlete and do use the gym). Overall, I do think that the gym is one of the places on campus that is considered a “symbol” or major place where students can come together. I believe the size of the room, the glass doors/windows, lights, shiny floors are all contributing factors to making the gym such a symbol for our school.

Shoe-tree:
The shoe-tree, to me is one of the most interesting places on campus. When walking by the shoe-tree, it brings up memories. Not that I have a pair of shoes up there but simply because I used to live on that side of campus. When I walk back to that tree, where I used to walk at least three times a day, 2 years ago, many memories of maturity, growth, and adventure, spring into my head. Though different things trigger memories for people, I believe the shoe tree may do that for most students on campus. Whether people have shoes hanging on the tree, I believe the tree in general can produce many memories, because of it’s placement on campus. This particular tree is not in a central location, not something that all students pass daily like the gym or campus center. Instead it is particular to underclassmen that typically live in the dorms. I believe this represents the initial growth and maturity that occurs as you move out of your parent’s home and onto campus. Also, a tree is a natural landmark on campus, unlike most other man-made ones. I believe this co insides with the fact that this growth and maturity just naturally happens as you reach a turning point in life like college.

Campus Center:
When I passed through the campus center, I had a different reaction than I did in the other locations. People were constantly passing through. Though there are tables for people to sit and study, talk, or watch t.v., in general, that room had a constant flow. When standing in the “hallwayish” room I realized how many different openings there were. There were 2 glass doors that lead to the outside patio, where there were many people, soaking up the nice weather. In another entrance the daily grind was filled with people getting some type of food. The other entrance lead to the campus bookstore which for me, usually causes a level of stress due to the fact that I am usually there to buy something I do not personally wish to spend money on. The other entrance is the hallway, which leads to the great room, one of the biggest common areas on campus. All these entrances and openings bring people that are passing by for different purposes. I believe this particular room/hallway brings a lot of people together, especially because it is not an official “place” on campus (i.e., does not have name like great room, cole cinema, etc.)

Coffee House:
When walking by the coffee house, many questions arise. First of all, I wonder to myself, “Why don’t I know more about this place?” After trying to get into the coffee house and it was locked (around 4 o’clock) I wondered why I was unable to get inside to find out more. Here I felt a level of shame for not taking advantage to the cool historic landmark, which I am within walking distance from. Many more questions arose as I turned toward the water. At glance of the true blue water, I naturally begin to ponder any thoughts that have been seemingly sitting in the back of my head through the day. I feel a sense of wonder of who lived here and enjoyed the coffee house, years ago, and what they would like me to take and appreciate from this amazing place.

Grave stone:
Though I did not know the student that died and marks this particular gravestone, it naturally brings up many questions and solemn thoughts. Within just a few days from walking to this point the first time, I noticed a few changes, I noticed some fake flowers sitting next to the stone, as if someone had been there to visit recently. Here I think about those affected by this death. How often do they visit? How do they cope with the death of a son, friend, boyfriend? I again, gain a feeling of shame. Not because I do not appreciate the landmark but because I have fun at the point, just yards away from this gravestone. I wonder, why do I get to live and enjoy this site and water and beauty when someone else comes to this point and feels sorrow, or even, while someone did not get to live long enough to enjoy it more. This particular place also makes me wonder what else has happened on this campus or what goes on that I do not know about, that I do not appreciate enough.

St. Mary's Hall:
St. Mary’s Hall was a very interesting to pass through. On our first visit, the building was very dark and very quiet. The building almost seemed blank, waiting to be used to represent an art or work but not quite used yet. However, upon return, I found two students setting up for a center of democracy event. The door was open and there were two tables set up on the stage. The room had a feeling of pre-operation to it. The room was no longer blank but now was being prepared for students to take advantage of the set up. I believe the event was in need of this kind of room for a particular reason, rather than a room like the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment