Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ways of Seeing Discussion

When I read Ways of Seeing, I felt like Berger was making sweeping generalizations about women. After talking about the book, I'm still upset, but the discussion helped me realize that that was Berger's intent instead of a consequence of his writing. I can look at his writing a little more objectively now that I've thought about his point- that he wants me to be angry that the "masterpieces" and "classics" objectify women.

It is true that the history of European and American painting is dominated by men, but women have obviously been artists all along... and that's not really what I'm concerned about. Today women are artists in every field. They are technically men's equals in art and mostly in everything else- at least in America- but the famous artists of the past are mostly men. And its worrisome because who will be the famous artists of "today" in the future? Will women and men have created great art of our time, or still just men? And if I want women to be just as valued artistically as men by my children- if I want to be just as valued as a man for my art- what should I do about it? and I'm not quite sure. Feminism still seems to annoy a lot of people, especially since its "movements" have come and gone. I don't want to be annoying, but more importantly, I want to be worth something.

No comments:

Post a Comment