Friday, September 17, 2010

Ways of Seeing Discussion

The discussion I seem to be most conflicted about is still the originality issue. Is the original piece truly a better piece? I misinterpreted John Berger because I thought he was criticising the mass production of art, and the discussion helped me see that he was pointing out the bad side of it and the good. I agree with him; art isn't something that should be locked into one room, whether it is the fabulous original or not, it should be seen by all eyes. I now understand that the point of his essays were to try to get to the viewer to look at art now that's it's been mass produced; art is manipulated by the person who is showing it to you, twisting it's meaning. John Berger wrote this to help us recognize how art is being manipulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment