Sunday, September 26, 2010

Project_ 01: Source

Source: http://www.terraamericanart.org/collection/initiatives/group?key=1616

The first artwork I chose is a painting by Karl Anderson, called Tennis Court at Hotel Baudy. Anderson was one of the many artists who worked in an artists’ colony in Giverny. Artists worked there frequently between 1885 and 1915, with this particular piece being done in 1910. Anderson and others came to the artists’ colony for many reasons, including plen air painting and social opportunities. Famous artist Monet had also worked there, which increased its appeal to other artists.
There were many reasons I felt I saw aspects of myself in this painting. When I first looked at the tennis players portrayed, I noticed that, in comparison to the people on the sidelines, they seem to be painted a lighter color, and appear to be less clear. It looks like Anderson painted them this way because of how the sunlight was actually shining on them. However, I decided to look at this aspect in a more symbolic way. The fact that the tennis players appear less colorful and less focused makes them seem separate from the other people, like they are off in their own world. This reminded me of how I occasionally feel somewhat disconnected from what is going on around me, especially if I am really focused on a particular thought or task. A somewhat more literal interpretation of this painting is my memory of playing tennis for my high school’s team. I saw tennis as an escape from the stress and trouble of the rest of my daily routine. I felt that playing tennis made me temporarily separated from things I did not like, but made me more closely connected to my teammates and the game. Being on that team was one of the best experiences of my life, and I was glad to find a painting that reminded me of how I felt then.

Another artwork I picked is the painting The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. Van Gogh was born March 30th, 1853, in Holland. His paintings were in the style of impressionism, which involved using bold colors and depicting outdoor scenes. Van Gogh was mentally instable throughout his life. He was an artist for ten years, before committing suicide. Starry Night had been painted from memory, in 1889. It’s one of his most famous paintings.
This painting reminds me more of a dream than an actual place, because it is based on something real, yet appears partly unrealistic. The tall objects in front, as well as the hills in the back, are very dark, mysterious, and creepy. The sky, on the other hand, is filled with bright, colorful lights, but still is a bit mysterious because they are not realistic. I think the painting symbolically reminds me of when my mind makes the dark, eerie things in my life seem worse, and when it makes the good, bright things seem brighter.

Image source http://www.vangoghgallery.com/catalog/Painting/508/Starry-Night.html
Info Source http://personal.monm.edu/closey/
Another artwork I picked is a painting called Free Spirit by Christian Riese Lassen. He is from Hawaii. His paintings are usually of beach scenes and ocean animals.
I really liked this image because of the bright colors and beautiful setting. The painting is very detailed, and the water looks very realistic. The picture looks like something out of a fairy tale, but it also looks like a scene that could have happened in reality. I really enjoy art that looks like something you would not see everyday. I enjoy the feeling that I have temporarily escaped from boring, typical sights, and found something more beautiful. The picture is very relaxing, and takes me away from the images which make me feel stressed.The tropical setting looks like somewhere you could go for a vacation.

http://lassentile.com/html/about_lassen.html

Another artwork I chose is a song called “Dare You to Move” by Switchfoot. The band was formed in 1996, gaining popularity in 2003. Some of their most well-known songs include “Stars,” “Dare You to Move,” and “Meant to Live.”
This song reminds me of the place where I am right now in my life; college, which involves a lot of changes and transitions. Two of the lines in the first verse are “welcome to existence” and “everybody’s watching you now.” This makes me think of how being in college brings people closer to being involved in the “real world” and having a career. Another lyric questions “what happens next?” This makes me think of the uncertainty I have felt in college about what my future will be like. I am currently at a place where I do not know for certain what classes I will take after first semester, what kind of job I will end up getting, how successful I will be in life, ect. Another lyric that caught my attention is “between who you are and who you could be, between how it is and how it should be.” This reminds me of how college is a place where I could change much over the next four years, hopefully for the better. Maybe the person I am today is not prepared for life after St. Mary’s College, but hopefully the person I will be when I graduate will be prepared. The lyric used in the title and the chorus is “dare you to move.” These words are as inspirational as they are challenging, asking the listener to move on to accomplish something in their lives.
Source: Album “The Beautiful Letdown” released 2/25/2003

No comments:

Post a Comment