Sunday, September 26, 2010

Project_01: Source

Artist: Man Ray; Space Writing, 1937.
Man Ray (born 27 August 1890- died 18 November 1976) was an American artist who spent most of his career in Paris. He was a significant contributer to the Dada and Surrealist movements and is well known for his avant-garde photography in addition to his works in film, collage and painting.

I found this image captivating because it shows how any space or place can become your own. Even something ordinary can become explosive and charged with personal ideas and memories. I loved the wire-like "writing" because its like it's own language, one special to the man in the picture, which makes this space completely his.


Artist: Salvador Dali; The Ghost of Vermer of Delft Which Can Be Used As a Table, 1934.
Dali (born 11 May 1904- died 23 January 1989) was a Spanish Surrealist painter born in Figueres (Catalonia). He is well know for his eccentric behavior and for his painting The Persistence of Memory.

I chose this image as a self-portrait because I think it shows how I can be overwhelmed by a place or space, even though there may not be anything intimidating or memorable in that place/space. To me, a space is something that must be courted and respected before it can have any special meaning, which is how I see the figure in this painting, as someone being totally surrounded by a space and just being in that moment trying to find meaning.


Artist: Max Ernst; Untitled from Une Semaine de Bonte, 1934.
Ernst (born 2 April 1891- died 1 April 1976) was a German painter, sculptor, graphic artist and poet who is considered to be a pioneer of the Dada movement and Surrealism.

I chose this image because I think it represents my lack of feeling connected to anyone place, place is something I do not define myself by and as such I try to find spaces (or a lack of) that I feel can define myself for any amount of time. The way the girl is placed in this work seems to embrace a wild and mysterious space is very appealing to me and much more interesting then if she was posed in any other way.


Artist: Garry Winogrand; Untitled from the Women are Beautiful collection, 1975.
Garry Winogrand (born 14 January 1928- died 19 March 1984) was an American "street photographer" who was know for his portrayal of America in the mid 20th century.

I chose this image as an example of self-portrait because I think this image demonstrates how a place or space can become the center of attention or a center of excitement, which is what I look for in anything I do or experience. The way that everyone in the image is so entranced by what is going on really calls out to me. Also, the image is somewhat unsettling in the way that we do not see what the people are looking at, which makes it more personal, at least to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment