Monday, September 27, 2010

PROJECT_01:SOURCE


















This was originally painted by Gustave Moreau in 1865. Gustave was a french painter, and much of his work dealt with biblical figures. This particular piece is a woman carrying the head of Orpheus on his lyre.




In the mythical story, Orpheus loses his love to death. He follows her into the depths of the underworld, in order to get her back. Not to say that I have been to hell and back for a girl, but most of us can say we have been to some pretty scary places in the name of love. I tend to jump into those places, and prefer not to look back with regret. Orpheus unfortunately did.


Michelangelo was the original painter of the piece in 1511. He was a Renaissance painter, and was hired do draw images from the book of genesis. This particular image is of the connection between adam and god.

All theological perspectives aside, this image is significant for sense of place. In this case, place is the position one has in the moral community. In this scene, god created man (adam) as the sole member of the community. This split should however not be implied as a Divine gift, but as a difference in capacities between man and nature. Although I am not christian, I do believe that we as humans are the entities that can place ourselves in the moral community. I then project this belief in how I view places and scenarios.



Source: Espn pictures, Roy Jones V. Bernard Hopkins (II). Artist: Roy (Captain Hook) Jones Jr./ Bernard (B-Hop) Hopkins. This photo was taken shortly before April 2, 2010. Features two aged legends of the sport, about to do battle.


I chose this piece to signify myself, because much of what i do is to avoid this place. This place is the cross road of dissonance of the mind, and insignificance. I began boxing shorty after witnessing the utter dominance of Roy Jones Jr. Much of my style, guard, and preferred weight class was structured after him. Essentially, I was in the right place when following his footsteps. Unfortunately, age and wear hit my hero. Poor planning, and a worse portfolio left this champion with nothing but faded dreams. This recent fight signifies the place no boxer wants to be...beltless and descending.

Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali 1931. Born in Figueres. Salvador Dali was a surrealist painter.
Regardless of what the picture may have been designed to express, my own interpretation is that there are places were time is wasted. To say that least, a lot of my time has been spent in places of luxury and ultimate waste. I tend to get sidetracked on projects that lead to fun new experiences, but ultimately don not progress me as a person. Between crosstraining, sports in general, and videogames, a lot of time gets put to no use.























No comments:

Post a Comment