Sunday, September 19, 2010

BARAKA

The beginning of the movie did not catch my attention. I was focusing solely with the intent of catching enough to write about. Then the video clip of the impala crowd flashed. Seeing a prospective 25-26 inch trophy ram surrounded by his harem was nostalgic. I found my heart rate elevating and praying for him to separate and go broadside.

I generalized my clear anthropocentric view of hunting, and used that lends for the rest of the movie. After this point I interpreted every seen as a demonstration of man's separation from nature. From the painting of the tribes men, to the industry of our society, all forms of humanity presented themselves above nature. Each scenario, man pursued a path that deliberately diverted from the surrounding environment. The images of the quarries and the cities were the most powerful.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the scene at the very beginning with the monkey in the hot spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment